Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Mexican 6 Layer Dip

I'm going to link to several recipes in this post, because I used a basic recipe for dip (which can be found here).  But instead of using that avocado layer, I combined two recipes for guacamole (which can be found here and here).  So the setup here will be a little different.  I'll explain what I did for the guacamole, and then for the dip.

Guacamole
  
Ingredients:
  • 3 Avocados (peel & pit)
  • Juice of one lime
  • 1/4 red onion (chopped)
  • Small handful minced cilantro
  • 1 small clove of garlic
  • Salt & pepper to taste
 Directions: 
  1. Peel & pit the avocados (I use a spoon to take the pit out, which is the hardest part IMO; then I slip the spoon under the avocado & scoop it right out- so easy).  Place avocados in a bowl and mash- I started just mashing with a spoon and then switched to a potato masher, worked like a charm.
  2. Chop the red onion (you could add more, but my husband isn't crazy about red onions so I used a minimal amount), add to bowl and mix.
  3. Juice the lime, add to bowl and mix.
  4. Chop the garlic, add to bowl, and mix.
  5. Chop the cilantro, add to bowl, and mix (you may want to add slowly & taste as you go alone if using fresh cilantro- it's much stronger than dried...but in a good way).
  6. Add salt & pepper to taste.
6 Layer Dip
 
Ingredients: 
  •  16 oz refried/black beans
  • Homemade guacamole
  • 1 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 pack taco seasoning
  • 3 tomatoes 
  • 1/2 cup sliced olives
  • 16 oz shredded cheese
  • Tortilla chips
Directions:
  1. Chop the tomatoes & olives (if so desired)
  2. Mix the sour cream & taco seasoning.
  3.  Spread beans in the bottom of a large dish.
  4. Add  guacamole.
  5. Add sour cream/taco seasoning mix.
  6. Add cheese.
  7. Add tomatoes.
  8. Add olives.
  9. Serve with tortilla chips & enjoy!
My changes: 
  • As mentioned, I used the above guacamole mixture instead of just mashing the avocados- it was AMAZING!  On it's on I thought it was okay, but mixed with the rest of the ingredients Oh. My. God. (said in the voice of Janice from F*R*I*E*N*D*S).
  • The original recipe is for a 7 layer dip, but one of those layers is onions.  Since I already had red onions in my guacamole, I decided to skip this layer.
  • While this was a great vegetarian recipe (even my husband, who is the ultimate "I am man, I eat meat" kind of guy, loved it), you could easily add a meat layer with ground beef or shredded chicken.  
  • This recipe was SO easy to prepare, AND I didn't have to turn on my oven or even microwave (a big plus in the summer).  It's surprisingly filling & delicious- I'm sure I'll be making it again soon. 
  • One thing- have a HUGE bag of tortilla chips.  The delicious salty chips with the cool, smooth taste from the guacamole & sour cream...my mouth is watering... 

No comments:

Post a Comment