Monday, June 13, 2011

Shrimp & Rice Tortilla with Lime Vinaigrette

The recipe for the Shrimp & Lime Vinaigrette is linked below.  I thought it sounded yummy, but the husband didn't think it sounded like enough to make a meal by itself (it's ridiculously hot here and we have no A/C, so I'm trying to keep my cooking minimal.  I make no apologies).  So I decided to add rice & stick it in a tortilla. 
 

Ingredients

  • 1 pound large cooked shrimp
  • 1 avocado, in large dice
  • 1 cup fresh or canned corn
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
  • ½ cup fresh lime juice
  • ¼ cup honey
  • 1 garlic clove, pressed or chopped
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 cup rice (uncooked)

Directions

  1. Combine the shrimp, avocado, corn, cilantro and onion in a large bowl.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, honey, garlic clove, salt, pepper and olive oil and whisk until well combined.
  3. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad (tasting as you go) and gently toss to combine.  
  4. Cover and chill for at least an hour before serving.  
  5. Cook rice.
  6. Once the shrimp salad is chilled, combine rice & salad into tortilla.
  7. Enjoy!

My Changes

  • I only used about 1/2 of the vinaigrette when originally mixing with the salad.  However, once I added the rice I thought it could have used more.  In the future I will most likely go ahead & mix in the rice, salad, & vinaigrette all at once.
  • Personally, I found the vinagrette a little too sweet.  I had to hand squeeze my limes (MUST buy a juicer ASAP) so I was a little shy of 1/2 cup...but barely.  I personally think the honey could have been cut down (maybe only 1/8 cup).  I also only used about 1/4 of a red onion, and I'll definitely be increasing that next time.
  • Oh, I used almost 1/2 cup fresh cilantro.  It was amazing (my grocery store has been out of fresh & I've been making do with dried...it's okay but fresh is soooo much better).
  • The original recipe (linked) mentioned something about not letting it chill overnight.  I did, because my husband & I didn't finish it all and we believe in leftovers.  It was fine.
  • I think bell peppers would be an awesome addition to this recipe and may add that in next time.  This recipe is pretty easy to customize honestly- the husband added sweet peas to his portion (yuck) as well as sour cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment