Monday, June 27, 2011

Sisters Sandwich

I really enjoyed this sandwich, and so did B.  I really like sandwiches for lunch/supper in the summer, it's just easy and typically pretty minimal.  This one was easy enough that I was even able to make it in the morning before work...and I move pretty slow in the mornings.



Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup pesto
  • 1loaf ciabatta bread, halved crosswise and lengthwise
  • 2 medium tomatoes, sliced thin and salted
  • 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
  • 8 slices thick-cut fried bacon (optional)

Directions

  1. Heat skillet or griddle to medium-low.
  2. Spread pesto over all 4 bread slices. 
  3. Top each with tomatoes, cheese, and bacon.
  4. Top sandwiches and place on warm griddle.  Weight them down (I laid a glass cutting board on top, then placed my crock pot on top of it, full with cans).
  5. Cook until bread is crisp and golden.
  6. Serve.

My Changes

  • My grocery store's bakery didn't have ciabatta bread, so I used something called Shepard's bread (basically just a thick round loaf).  While I'm sure ciabatta would be good, I think any bread can be substituted if needed.
  • I this this could have been a little meatier, I think the addition of chicken or ham would really kick this up a notch.  But overall it was simple & tasty- no complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment