Monday, July 18, 2011

Hot Pizza Dip

I did make quite a bit of changes for this recipe, but it was pretty awesome.  I'm really grateful for the Joelen for providing the idea for this dip.


Ingredients:
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 small green bell pepper, finely diced
  • 1 small onion, finely diced
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 2 ounces pepperoni sausage, chopped
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup pizza sauce
  • garlic bread for serving
  • 1 lb ground beef (optional)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Cook garlic bread according to package.
  3. Brown grown beef (if using).
  4. Saute butter, mushrooms, bell pepper, and onions.
  5. Mix herbs and cream cheese.
  6. Spread cream cheese mixture in the bottom of a 9 in oven-safe dish.
  7. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over cream cheese mixture.
  8. Add ground beef.
  9. Add pizza sauce.
  10. Add the remaining cheese.
  11. Add mushroom, pepper, and onion mixture.
  12. Top with pepperoni.
  13. Bake for about 10 minutes, until warmed through.
  14. Serve with garlic bread.
My changes:
  • I decided to add ground beef, because my husband firmly believes that it has to have meat in order to classify as dinner.
  • I used about double the amount of mushrooms & pizza sauce as recommended.  
  • I used peperoni slices instead of sausage.
  • I used green onions.
  • Instead of using parsley, basil, & oregano I decided to use a tablespoon of Italian seasoning because it was easier and what I had.
Update: So I think this is one of those recipes that you can't really screw up.  I made it again tonight but skimped on the pepparoni and green onions because I didn't have them.  I also cooked the onions, mushrooms, and butter with the ground beef and it was super yummy.  Highly reccomend and love the versatility.

1 comment: