Sunday, August 19, 2012

Chocolate Crack

Again, I can't believe I haven't posted this recipe before!  I love making this, and tend to do it a lot during the fall.  Not that it's particularly fall-y, just chocolate and peanut butter.  I just found it around Thanksgiving so I start thinking of it around this time of the year.

Ingredients
  • 1 box graham crackers (I used cinnamon ones on accident, but they were delish)
  • 1 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Line a cookie sheet with foil. Spray with Pam/nonstick cooking spray.
  3. Line the pan completely with a layer of graham crackers.
  4. Combine butter with brown sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat: STIR CONSTANTLY for 5 minutes.
  5. Pour the mixture over the graham crackers as evenly as possible.
  6. Put in oven & bake for 10 minutes.
  7. Remove from pan & sprinkle chocolate chips over crackers. Give them a minute or two to melt and then spread them out with a spoon/spatula/etc.
My tips
  • I didn’t boil the sugar/butter, just warmed it on medium & let it melt together.
  • Also I didn’t use the entire bag of chocolate chips, just kind of sprinkled them on there & spread.
  • I think you can use less butter & brown sugar (3/4 of a cup of each, maybe even just 1/2 cup).  I also made it with white sugar when I ran out of brown (not quite as good as using the brown sugar, but I still liked it).  Last night I had a stroke of pure brilliance and added a tablespoon or two of peanut butter to the butter/(white) sugar combo and it was AMAZING.
  • The original recipe said to let it chill before eating…this is REALLY hard for me to do.  I did like the one with white sugar (& no PB) better cooled, but it’s really yummy warm too so I don’t think you can really go wrong either way.
  • Several people have heard of a similar version using saltines (so you have a salty/sweet combo) and love it.

1 comment: